How Cold-Formed Steel Framing Reduces the Costs of Your Mid Rise Building
Building a mid-rise structure is not a low-cost endeavor. We’re always helping clients find ways to cut costs during a commercial build. Framing accounts for roughly 20% of the total cost of construction for a mid-rise building. Here are several ways cold-formed steel reduces building costs.
- Builder’s Risk Insurance Reduced: Insurance providers understand the differences in building with wood and building with steel. They know that steel won’t burn away and destroy the structure the way wood can. Talk to your insurance provider about saving money on your insurance premium if you build with steel in lieu of wood.
- Reduce or Eliminate Scaffolding: Reduce the need for scaffolding with panelized framing. This opens up the job site and allows more people to work simultaneously. Other tradesmen, like the electrician, HVAC technician, and plumber can get to work more quickly.
- Fewer Man Hours Spent on Carpentry: Cold-formed steel is created based on your requirements and delivered to the job site before work begins.
- Eliminated Risk of Dry Rot and Termites: Steel does not dry rot and it is completely insect resistant. Dry rot destroys wood and invites insects like termites to move in. This eventually leads to the structure shifting or a complete loss of structural integrity. This is not a concern when you build with cold-formed steel framing.
- Shrink the Construction Timeline: Steel components are factory-built to work together, which leads to fewer hours spent measuring and cutting pieces to fit. Follow-on tradesmen can get their work done more quickly, which means construction is completed more quickly and efficiently.
- Reduced Site Security: Construction site security is not cheap. Round-the-clock guards are often required in order to reduce theft and protect against fire. This can really add up over the course of the project. Steel is not combustible, so you may be able to save money on security against fire-related problems.
Reduce Costs Bit by Bit
Each of those line items reduces the costs involved with building a mid-rise building. You may feel like you’re being nickel and dimed to death by the end of the project because everything tends to cost a little here and there. Building with cold-formed steel is one of the areas that will save money rather than cost more.
Building with Steel in Central Florida
Call us, Craft Steel Works, at 800-916-6025 to discuss your steel building needs or to begin the custom order process. We’ve helped many central Florida property owners with the difficult decisions that need to be made during the order process.